Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

My little friend

This past holiday season I decided to take the plunge and indulge myself with a new smart phone.  I had been eying a couple off contract, unsubsidized phones from Amazon.  Now, I've never had a real modern smart phone.  All my previous phones were all dumb phones.  So I wanted my first smart phone to be something cool, cutting edge, with the latest technology basically something I can remember.  Problem was that I didn't really have the funds necessary to spend on the latest and greatest.  Most of the phones I was looking at were between $500-$700 USD.

After doing some research I decided that Android was right for me.  I liked the openness of the platform and the entry level price on the older hardware wasn't too steep.  During my regular SlickDeals.net browsing I came upon a post advertising a phone with Android 2.2 (the latest at the time), GPS, 3G, WI-FI, and bluetooth at a shipped price of $150.  I just had to click.  The phone was Huawei's IDEOS U8150.  It's basically a phone for emerging markets/entry level Android experience.  After reading the post and comments I brushed it off as too small and too slow even though it had everything else I wanted.  After a couple few days I decided to do my own research and so I looked up reviews on the phone.  Basically everywhere I looked the phone was getting praised.  The review's made it clear that while the phone wasn't the fastest or had the biggest screen it did have just about everything else including bare bones Android 2.2 (with no added carrier fluff) for only $150.  Not only that but the phone was co-developed in conjunction with Google directly (according to Huawei).  My interest suddenly grew.  Needless to say, I am proud owner of the IDEOS.  Sure, it can't play the latest/demanding Android games but it hasn't failed me as a smartphone.  It runs everyday applications pretty spiffy, I have plenty of space available thanks to my 8GB SD card and has all the features of those other expensive phones.  Win-win!  So if you are in the market for an affordable Android phone with all the bells and whistles (minus multi-touch) I recommend checking out the Huawei IDEOS.

No comments:

Post a Comment